Monday, February 9, 2009

Wine Vacuums


If you love wine but can't drink the whole bottle you must have a wine vacuum. I got mine at Target last year and have purchased many more to give as gifts since then. I bought a Houdini wine vacuum but there are many on the market that work just as well. I chose the Houdini because it was inexpensive and looked rather slick. There are much more expensive brands out there that come in a variety of styles and colors. As long as they suck the air out they are all good.

Wine vacuums are a wonderful invention. They not only seal the wine so it can be stored on it's side without dripping but they also prevent the wine from further oxidation. Once a bottle of wine is opened the air immediately changes the wine. This is good to a point and why people let good bottles breath but too much air can ruin the wine.

Usually a bottle of wine is good for about two days after removing the cork. After two days it's usually cooking wine. It has lost it's aroma and might even begin to taste vinegary. Using a wine vacuum and airtight stopper extends the life of the bottle from a couple of days to two weeks. I don't usually have a bottle of opened wine that lasts for anywhere near two weeks but it's nice to know I don't have to down an opened bottle if I'm not able to finish it.

If you are serious about your wine this is a must addition to your bar ware.

*This is not a paid advertisement. I don't do them. I talk about the products I use and like. I also talk about the products I don't like but I am not paid to talk about any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment